Friday, February 1, 2013

Gallery Thoughts and Process



I just finished taking down my pieces at my first art gallery, The Dowling Museum/Anne Rudd Art Gallery. It was such an amazing experience and I learned so much in the process.




Gallery Prep Time
8 hours: Front window display
10 hours: I spent an entire day cutting mats and framing pieces, besides previously framed pieces.
2 hours: I took all the pieces and layer them out on the floor of the gallery to see where they should be hung.
15 hours: Hanging the pieces and setting up.




The most shocking part of the process for me was the hanging time. It only took me 2 hours to lay the pieces out, I thought that it would take 4 hours, 5 hours tops to hang all of the pieces. The leaves took the longest for me to hang. I should also say that "me" hanging them was actually my husband who graciously helped me with those. They are hung on a wire and look like they are "floating".




The other pieces were easier because they did not have to be as precise. I was able to hang those quicker, but I rearranged them several times before I was satisfied.


 

Opening Night:
What a great evening! Lots of friends, lots food, and lots of fun. It was great to be able to talk with people and explain your work. I was so busy I didn't even get to take pictures.


Tear Down:
It took me a grand total of 2 hours to take everything down, load it up in my truck and clean up. It was such a good experience and I cant wait to do it again. I wanted to say thanks again to the Dowling Museum/Anne Rudd Art Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment