Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Beginners Blog

I decided to try something new this year; but it was not a New Years Resolution. I wanted to pursue my art further; either creating a website, blog, or expanding my portfolio. I am somewhat of a technophobe, technology is great, but I don't always get along with it. I enjoy drawing, I always have, but I will admit it is hard draw everyday especially with no deadline. I don't want to sound like the typical artist, but I do work better under a deadline.

I found a great website that has helped me, +Illustration Friday. I gives it's audience a "word of the week", and lets them post their illustration. The illustration can be in whatever medium the artist chooses. An added bonus is that by the end of the year, you as an artist can have an amazing portfolio. The great part for me is that you have to post by Friday. The world does not come crashing down, you will not get fired, or lose a client, if you do not post by the deadline of Friday. However for me it is a deadline, and for now it counts.

I am not saying that this is the only way I will draw and the only thing I draw, but it has definitely helped give me that jump start to drawing. I carry around my sketchbook and pencils, in case there is a free moment now where I can sketch an idea. I am finding myself looking forward to the next "word of the week".

I posted last week on +Illustration Friday, and hopefully will post again either tomorrow or Thursday. I'm really not procrastinating; life happens and this beginning of the week was a little crazy (packing/moving). I am a people pleaser, and hoping that I did not bite off more than I can chew. I am not so worried about the drawing, I enjoy that. However, I am incredibly nervous about the posting.

 
 
Last week's word of the week "ocean".
 




No comments:

Post a Comment